Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Willy
Senior Contributor

Finally Found- A CBT-p Practitioner- Part 4

It has been about 3 months since my previous post about my experiences with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Psychosis often abbreviated to CBT-p. CBT-p is a collection of psychological techniques and practices that have been proven to be effective for helping people with psychotic mental health problems such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

I have now had 8 sessions since late February this year (2022). After my 6th session I had to go back to my general practitioner to get my mental health plan updated so that I would continue to receive Medicare rebates.

My partner came with me to the doctors and when the doctor asked me how it was all going I just said “Ask her. She has to live with it as much as I do”. My partner told the doctor that there had been significant improvements but then went on to say how some “homework” that the psychologist had given me to share with her had made a big difference to the way she looked at and responded to situations. The idea was pretty simple. Instead of taking the attitude that this was just my problem, it was suggested that we look at schizophrenia as a shared problem to work on together.  This has resulted in a significant reduction in problem interactions between us that have on occasions triggered psychotic episodes.

I am lucky that my partner was willing to take on some of the responsibility of this work.

The doctor then gave me the same mental health test that she had given me before I started the CBT-p sessions. She reported that the latest tests showed a significant improvement.

Then the doctor asked me about my anti-psychotic medication. Her eyes nearly popped out of her head in surprise when I told her I hadn’t taken any for some months and that the psychologist had told me quite early in our sessions that she hoped to get me entirely off medication for good. My doctor seemed pleased but also somewhat amazed at these results in less than 6 months.

CBT-p is not talk therapy. It is work therapy and it will only work if a person is sufficiently motivated to put in a significant amount of effort. A good psychologist can see the problem and point the way but the client has to do the work.

One exercise that seemed to work well for me is called the Passengers on the Bus metaphor. It helped me to understand how thoughts, feelings and in my case voice hallucinations prevent me from living a full and worthwhile life. Furthermore this metaphor shows how to go about changing the situation.

Here is a YouTube link to a five minute animation that my psychologist showed me.

Passengers On A Bus Metaphore 

And here is the worksheet I am using to identify the characters on my own life bus.

Passengers On The Bus worksheetPassengers On The Bus worksheet

The first few characters were obvious and easy enough to identify but what I am finding is that it becomes increasingly harder and requires more effort to investigate and identify the deeply buried characters who often create the biggest problems.

When I first saw this video in the psychologists consulting room I ‘got it’ straight away. Then I went home and showed it to my partner and a few days later to a young relative who has recently been diagnosed with a psychotic illness. Both just shrugged their shoulders and said it meant nothing to them. Perhaps it is a matter of being introduced to the right exercise at the right time.

The biggest problem that I can see with CBT-p and similar psychological therapies is that they are not available under the public health system in Australia. There also seem to be very few experienced and qualified private practitioners around and even if you find one they tend to be fairly expensive, even after the Medicare rebate.

The situation is a lot better in the UK and numerous European countries. Australia seems to be very backward when it comes to helping people with mental health problems.

Many concerned people are trying to do something about this but it is a tough job.

The most common way of treating mental illness in Australia is  known as the biomedical approach which claims that mental illness is the result of unbalanced brain chemistry which is best fixed with psychiatric drugs. The people who support this approach seem to have done a very effective job of convincing governments, medical professionals and even many people who suffer from mental health problems that this is the best and in many cases the only viable way of dealing with mental illness, particularly serious mental illness.

As my own experience has so far shown, this simply is not true. 

Here is a link to the first article in this series

Finally Found A CBT-p Practitioner 

Here is a link to the previous article in this series

Finally Found A CBT-p Practitioner Part 3 

Regards

Willy

This is a video I helped to create based on the Acceptance & Commitment Therapy metaphor: Passengers on the Buss. It sets out how you can relate differently to unwanted or difficult thoughts, feelings and emotions so that they are less impactful and you can continue with your chosen life ...
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Finally Found- A CBT-p Practitioner- Part 4

Hi @Willy 

Thank you for your detailed post about your treatment. It sounds like it's going so well for you. 

I know what you mean about the biomedical approach being dominant. I feel that some see it as an 'easy' or 'fast' fix for mental health issues. I feel that while this approach has a place it needs to be used in combination with psychology and other therapies. These need to be made much more accessible to everyone. 

I hope others get some benefit out of your post and the videos you've linked too!

Hanami

Hi @Willy,

Thank you for a very informative post. It's interesting to read different techniques available - it's great that there is not a one size fits all approach in helping people with our mental health challenges. I guess it's like treating a headache - what may work for you may not work for me and vis-versa. It's really good that you have found something that works for you and you are passionate about.

You sound like you really are doing the hard work that is required with CBT-p and it's great to read that your partner is onboard and working with you as well. Sounds like you have a great team going :).

I like the bus metaphor and the picture you have shared. When you talk about the characters on the bus that are easy to identify (I guess like the ones sitting near the window that are easy to see) but it's the `deeply buried characters who often create the biggest problems' for you. I imagine they might be the characters in the inner seats off the bus (the one's not so easily seen as the one's at the window). You have really described this metaphor so well. 

Thank you for sharing this information, your thoughts, and your journey with us - it's much appreciated.

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather

I just had a chance to watch the clip and it's really great! Will definitely keep this in my mind next time my pesky passengers try to talk to me in a negative way. Thanks again for sharing!

Hanami

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance