Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Asthma Medication Causing Serious Psychiatric Side Affects

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-12/singulair-montelukast-side-effect-warning-dispute/7833068

Last week, ABC - 7.30, reported the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) had received almost 90 reports of psychiatric events, including SI, in people treated with the asthma drug S..........  Since the program aired, many consumers & caregivers have contacted the ABC stating they have observed violent outbursts of anger, SI and depressive episodes in loved ones.

S............ is a chewable tablet used to treat asthma and allergic hay fever. Suicidal thoughts, actions, depression, aggression and hostility ARE listed side effects on the Consumer Medicines Information for the drug S.............

Many patients and caregivers never get verbal or written warnings about s......... from their doctor or pharmacist, even when it is initially prescribed.

Consumers are pushing for labels to be clearly displayed on tablet packets to warn that the drug can cause significant mood and behavioural changes, including suicidal thoughts.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Asthma Medication Causing Serious Psychiatric Side Affects

@Decadian, had to repost again and lost your comments. Included the link in the last one if you can use it before it disappears again. This time They think the side affects children were having to the drug would trigger people. Crazy. Anyway, i think its important, thanks for daring to respond. Means a lot. This has really depressed me. Just trying to help, be heard. Thank goodness this drug is not widely used.

Hi @Former-Member

There is a lot of information on this product - and enough to type the main words into your browser to find what you are looking for

Basically this drug alters blood chemistry regarding the histamine reactions from Mast Cells - I have been into this just by reading information in my own reliever boxes -

The side effects are listed and attempted suicide is one of them

If you receive this let me know - it will probably be taken down again

When we were children my brother developed severe bronchial asthma - I don't think there were any relievers or preventers around in those day - he was giving antibiotics for it

I had a dust mite reaction in my adult life - severe at first but now it's enough to carry a reliever that I might use a few times a year - and I have side effects my doctor knows about and more importantly - I know about

One puff and I will get an increase in heart rate - but one puff is usually enough - two puffs and I start to tremble - and if I needed a third puff I would be ringing an ambulance - my anxiety gets high after a second puff - but I can't tell if the anxiety it from having had severe asthma and being in hospital or a reaction to the medication

I hope this gets through to you - I can always post it again

Decadian

Wow, this is an eye opener. Thank you @Former-Member, my neighbours child has these issues.

Apparently there is also a reverse phenomena

a lot of antipsychotics depress the respiratory system ...

we do need to be careful and be informed.  The system wants the best outcomes and patient initiative and research ought to improve health issues overall .. when done in collaboration with paid mh professionals.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance