Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

if anyone needs support or anyone to talk to a helpline i found helpful previously is called QLife. they are an anonymous helpline so you can talk without disclosing anything personal like name

https://www.qlife.org.au/

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hey there @Former-Member thank you for letting me know the autism gender discussion brings up some discomfort. It does for me too actually Heart A lot of mixed feelings on those theories. Sitting in this discomfort with you. I really feel the world is full of labels and sometimes they are empowering, other times exhausting. But I do believe you're a resilient, insightful and special human being @Former-Member 🙂 

Most Labels feel Disempowering to me @nashy

Plus they come with an expectation - to conform to an expected presentation or behaviour.

Adge

@Jynx  there's also QLife which I linked to earlier in this discussion.  7 days a week 3pm to 12pm a hotline and webchat service for people who identify as LGBTQIA2+ and their allies and support people.  I include the 2+ for twin-spirit people from many cultures, including our own Tiwi Islands.  Me and my trans adult kid usually just say 'alphabet soup' but we know what we mean!

@outlander Agreed. Amazing. I love this insight and I love the resource you have shared in addition. Thanks for being open and honest and know we are honoured to learn this about you 🙂 

Right crew! What a brilliant chat. As this has been a great discussion I will leave this thread open until tomorrow for you all to debrief Smiley Very Happy I am going to say goodnight, but I believe @Jynx has some further information before their sign off providing an additional explanation of terms. A bit of insight from me before I go 

Gay is an adjective that describe people who are physically, romantically, emotionally and/or spiritually attracted to other people of the same gender. In the past, “gay” specifically referred to men who are attracted to men. Now, it is common for “gay” to be used by anyone who is attracted to their same gender. It’s all up to you and which word fits you the best.

Lesbian is a noun that describes women who are predominantly attracted to other women. It can also be used as an adjective. Some lesbian women prefer to identify as “gay,” and that’s ok.''

Now handing the mic to @Jynx for their goodnight. Thanks so much everyone for joining in @outlander @Former-Member @eth @Former-Member @Rebel @Adge @Maggie @NatureLover and I know I have missed others in the tag drops there but thank you so so much. Have a restful night all Smiley Happy

@Former-Member wrote:

I feel uncomfortable about the autism - gender discussion. There are a lot of things 'I don't get'. 
@Jynx I hate labels and would like people to accept me as I am, questioning why I have to adapt, but I like boxes even if I struggle to put myself in one. I'm learning that there are things outside boxes, not only black & white, not only straight lines... life doesn't really work for me if I can't put it into an equation, but I'm learning.

That is totally fair, and it is of course not something that can ever describe the huge spectrum of human experience. We are strange creatures to insist everything must belong to a particular category when life is so much more beautifully complex than a label could ever describe. 

To me, a label is a tool to be used to help explain something, but it should never be used to constrict or control that to which it applies.  

Thank you @nashy @Jynx  for running tonight's topic! 

@Fluttershy1 wrote:

Thank you @nashy @Jynx  for running tonight's topic! 

Yes, thank you 🙂

Thanks so much @nashy & @Jynx

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, I'm Tagging Challenged - especially when tired.

Adge

@Fluttershy1 @Schitzo  see above post

@outlander @Former-Member  I'd love to join any new thread you start.  It's clear that there is quite a group of people who would love to keep discussing these topics.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance