Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Why is mental health care so bad here in Australia?

I'm still young, so I've not run into the issue of needing to pay for most of the services I'm in need of, but I do have to agree in terms of the actual level of support I feel like I've received over time. Most of my mental health issues haven't been resolved even after seeing at least three different professionals over the course of years. It's gotten to the point sometimes where I've wondered if for some reason I just don't want help, but that's silly.

I know it's not a permanent solution but have you tried any helplines? Typically they'll only keep you on the line for about half an hour but I've found them helpful during specific tough times. I apologise if you have and this seems like a dumb question.

As an aside, I've never really seen the point of R U OK day myself either. I feel like one of the only people that are pretty much neutral on their existence. I've never seen anything happen due to it but I've also never seen anything negative about it. It just seems to... be there.

All the best, @Bipolar94. I hope things end up well for you.

Hey @OakSeptic, how's it going as we near the end of the week?

I just wanted to stop by to say that you raise a really interseting point about RU OK Day – it does just seem to "be there", and I think that's the goal of a mental health advocacy campaign, awareness raising. For those who have no first hand experience with mental health it can be hard to know what to say, so days such as this one can help start a conversation. I can certainly hear that it can be a frustrating experience for others though because it might feel like it minimises their experience. It's a tough one, but thank you for engaging in that conversation. You made me think 🙂

This whole case is tragic on many levels.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-06/veronica-nelson-coronial-inquest-psychiatric-nurse/101045714 

"care" should not end up in premature death.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance