Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

younglawyer
Contributor

depressed again

hi everyone,

I hate when you have a small glimmer of hope then everything comes crashing down again =( I've been feeling increasingly depressed and sometimes suicidal about not being able to find a job as a graduate. Today a law firm rang me saying you can come work for us and I got all excited then they said the first year is without pay. Then maybe (sounded like a pretty iffy maybe) we will find you a paid position. What a joke. Who do these people think they are? 1 year without pay, how do they expect me to eat? Is that even legal? I could understand a community legal centre doing this but it was a commercial firm.

2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: depressed again

Hi younglawyer

so sorry to hear of the tough time you're having as a law graduate. I have heard from others in the field that it can be hard going getting started. Seems like such a lot to expect someone to work for 12months without payment. Have you tried getting volunteer work (once a week for example) at a community legal centre to give you some experience perhaps? I'm sure you are super talented and dedicated but even so it's easy to get down about it sometimes. I hope that you will be ok. Don't forget to call Lifeline 131114 if you feel really low. 

All the best. Keep us posted how it goes.

Shel49

Re: depressed again

Hi @younglawyer

I'm sorry to hear they got your hopes up like that. One year unpaid seems completely unreasonable.

It's really important to find out about your rights. Here is a list of organisations who can help you find out what is okay & what isn't: http://www.australia.gov.au/information-and-services/jobs-and-workplace/working-conditions

Australian Unions might be helpful also.

I hope these are helpful!

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance