Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Questioning psychiatric treatment

The feeling of powerlessness when being put on a treatment order and the treatments given can lead to anger and bitterness. But we are not powerless, as @Lauz said, there are things we can do to help better our situations. As a caregiver I worked with the treating team, giving information, advocating in relation to prescribed medication with considered opinion. I can say there were times when the pdocs did not have thiings right.

Mr Darcy, my husband not only had the feelings of powerlessness of a treatment order but also that of experiencing mental health symptoms and the resultant permanent injury of an attempt which happened when he was unwell.  But he too is not powerless, he has worked hard to do things to improve his life. I continue to advocate for Mr D (he is no longer on an order), he too has been able to reduce his meds. Keeping a mood chart is one tool we have used. 

I have also learned I need to be open @prodius Mr D too is slowly reducing an  antipsychotic (he remains on a mood stabiliser, not an anticonvulsant). While the prospect of a relapse scares me, I also strongly believe in the principle of the least restrictive treatment so will advocate for him as it is his desire to further reduce AP. He too is open and has agreed that if symptoms return as APs are discontinued that he will resume this treatment and we would look at seeing if he can get by without mood stabiliser.

Note: Mr D on his own admission finds medical things hard to understand and asked for my assistance in these matters.

Re: Questioning psychiatric treatment

Hi @prodius I'm in awe of your bravery and wish you all the best on your healing journey. I too was actually misdiagnosed with being schizoaffective by a hospital pyschiatrist when what I actually suffer from is PTSD and have anxiety and depression. I slowly weened myself off the huge levels of aripiprazole they had me on under the guidance of my GP and a psychologists. Things were going well but for the last month I have really struggled with my depression and anxiety. I'm not taking any medication at the moment. I wanted to call/ go to the hospital for some respite but realised that I haven't had my diagnosis corrected with them and was worried that if I attended the hospital they would blame my recent bout of depression on me not taking meds and put me on a treatment order. I'm terrified of being put on heavy meds for being schizoeffective again when that is not actually the problem, I didnt call or go to the hosipital and clearly I made it through the moment and am ok. Has your doctor put a note on your file at the hospital yet? Do you or doesnt anyone else know anymore abput the logistics of this and what it takes for them to put you on a treatment order? Also do these records carry across from state to state or do you have to start all over agin if you move interstate. Any information would be greatly appreciated from anyone who reads this. Thanks guys. X

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance