Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Question about confidentiality

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is allowed but I just want to know if anyone knows about confidentiality after death?
Do your Dr's and psychologist have to keep your confidence?
I hope this question is allowed, sorry if it's not.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Question about confidentiality

From what I know @Former-Member - & I'm not an expert - your medical history is still private after death. Although some doctors choose to share some information with family members after a death - it is usually just to help that family member feel better about the death.
If the cause of death is suspicious or a suicide, then your medical records (including your psych history) - can & most likely will be requested by the Coroner.
I wonder if any of the @moderators know lhe legal answer to this question?
@Sahara @NikNik

@utopia @Former-Member

re: suspicious death or suicide: I know that is definitely the case in Tassie - there is always a coronial inquest for suspicious deaths or suicide and all medical records can be requested (and usually are) - don't know about the other states.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member

i'm not sure about the answer to your question but worried about why you might be wondering this? You don't have to answer that, just wanting to check that you're safe and ok,

lj

Great question, @Former-Member.

I wish I knew the answer. I do know that if you commit a crime, then the magistrate/court can get hold of your medical records to help with your psychological evaluation. So if there was something relevant in those records, it could be taken into consideration. I remember one of the psychologists I saw years ago had me sign a document making sure that I was aware of this. 

(So far I haven't committed any crimes, so I don't worry too much!)

Also, I became kind of interested in a true crime case that was T.V. recently, and I discovered that I could find the psychiatrist's report on the criminal in question very easily online. I did not realise that these kind of documents were so easily obtainable by anyone who went looking! I was a bit surprised. Smiley Surprised (that criminal is still alive and living in jail in Australia, too!)

I have also read a few coroner's reports online, directly from the coronor's court, and found that they tend to reveal absolutely everything.... I mean, unless there was some legal reason why details had to be withheld or something like that.

Yes, as far as I know, if the cause of death of an individual cannot be established by a doctor, then they do a coroner's inquest. However, there are exceptions.  I remember someone told me that their relative died, but the coroner did not order an inquest, as the person died peacefully at home of natural causes. We just don't know what those 'natural causes' were.  I guess they don't want the courts to be overflowing with cases where they are reasonably sure they won't learn anything very interesting. Smiley Embarassed

I just wanted to say I have no legal or medical training what-so-ever. This is all just general knowledge stuff. 

Why do you ask, @Former-Member? I hope you are ok.

Former-Member
Not applicable

good question
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance