Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: People Still Don't Sincerely Care About The Plight Of The Suicidal (TW: Suicide)

D1ng0, I won't tag you, as I get the impression you don't want that. But incase you do happen to wander back to this thread, I'll respond:

Content/trigger warning

It's difficult to know what the genuine temperature of the community is, since it's very precarious to just come out and say: "I'm suicidal", so unfortunately, most of the time you just have to guess as to what their attitudes to suicide are.

The few times I've blurted out in real life that I want to die, it has not been taken well.

In terms of the broader community's attitudes... well, the best source of insight I have, flawed as it may be, is media coverage of the issue of suicide. I agree with everything you say about the media cutting and editing it's source material to present the story it wants to present, rather then a reliable picture of reality.

It does bring me down, watching disappoint coverage such as the news segment I mentioned in my original post. But for me, I think it's important to keep up-to-date on these sorts of things and watch the coverage as it comes through (I respect that many people are not up for this). Sort of a "know thy enemy"-type principal, if you know what I mean.

Re: People Still Don't Sincerely Care About The Plight Of The Suicidal (TW: Suicide)

So true, @Eve7 . Too damned true.

And it's been that way for too damned long, too.

Folks here don’t even know @chibam  they are sick of us. Heck I’m sick of me. Burden 

Just an fyi, not that it really makes any difference, but the media have very strict guidelines on how they report/ if at anything, about suicide. I have a friend who use to be high up editor for the daily telegraph. He wrote a story that made front page that involved something that I did many years ago, he couldn’t report on anything that I actually did, just how it affects the community. Sorry to be vague, need to remain anonymous. 
Anyways, just to say they have strict guidelines on what they can say. 

locally we had a mh case that closed streets for days. It was huge in the area, but not a peep in the media. 

I guess it’s just so taboo, yet it affects so many people. Too sensitive. I don’t know.

if assisted dying for mh was ever approved here…..??

@Bow wrote:

Just an fyi, not that it really makes any difference, but the media have very strict guidelines on how they report/ if at anything, about suicide. I have a friend who use to be high up editor for the daily telegraph. He wrote a story that made front page that involved something that I did many years ago, he couldn’t report on anything that I actually did, just how it affects the community. Sorry to be vague, need to remain anonymous. 
Anyways, just to say they have strict guidelines on what they can say. 

Yeah, I know; the "MindFrame" guidelines. There was a fair bit of discussion about it on here a couple months or so ago.

IMHO, they're just confusing the hell out of the media, because they seem to have shut down parts of the media coverage that their ostensibly not designed to shut down; while the "problematic" aspects of suicide reporting seem to be occurring more then ever.

Not to mention the fact that they leave TV channels doing absurd things, such as editing out that scene in The Naked Gun where Ricardo Montalban's secretary pantomimes attempting suicide. Spoils the movie for everybody, and makes out that the suicidal community are so delicate, they can't even handle seeing a brief, and really tame allusion to suicide.

@Bow wrote:

locally we had a mh case that closed streets for days. It was huge in the area, but not a peep in the media. 

I guess it’s just so taboo, yet it affects so many people. Too sensitive. I don’t know.

I believe that. I followed the Royal Inquiry into the Robodebt fiasco really closely, and many of the submissions to it detailed suicide attempts that were way more sensational then anything we ever heard about in the media. I was amazed that some of these stories never went mainstream public, because they were just so public and sensational. Or other stories about Centerlink customer service opperators who were entangled with multiple customers attempting suicide.

It went way beyond the two successful suicides we heard about in the media. Suicide was all over that scheme, yet it was barely ever reported. I couldn't believe the true scope of it, when I started reading some of those inquiry submissions.

We are certainly living under a very suppressed media, when it comes to the matter of suicide. I'm not denying that there are certain details and language about suicide that ought to be avoided where possible. But what we are living under goes way beyond that sort of dilligent, minimal editing. The suppression has become very counterproductive.

I'm glad this discussion exists. 

TW:

Content/trigger warning
I attempted suicide last night. Only to be yelled at and turned away from the hospital. 

When you arr chronically suicidal people just turn you away thinking that you just want the attention. I am in pain. I'm tied. I am safe enough af the moment. But I feel compelled to state that. Even though I'm safe I don't feel safe. Like I'm not going to act again right now and feel like I have to tell everyone that so they dont get worried or concerned or triggered. 

No seems to check in further than that. Yes I'm safe. But I don't want to be. I don't want to trigger anyone. But that's just what everyone is more concerned with than actually helping me. 

I think you have really nailed it @The-red-centaur in terms of the fact that there seems to be more concern with just keeping people alive than there is with putting effort towards helping folks to create a life worth living. And I am so sorry that you were turned away, how utterly demoralising. Let us know if there's anything we can do to support you at the moment hun 💜

we need all people to open up their hearts & minds to this.

Suicide.

It f*kn hurts each & everyday, just to be!

You've tried all the stuff, all the veggies & sun walks. 

Why does this thing reach up from heart & just pull me down into black!

The courage it takes to end your life is massive. Tried twice myself.

Agree totally with you.

And we are not burdens. We are unwell. 

This Christian aversion to Suicide is not evolved thinking.

We just want to talk about it!!!!

Red centaur.

I am happy to talk about suicide in real terms.

Not to deny. Not to dissuade. Just glanced off an attempt this Saturday gone.

Got too lazy & stoned to do it!!!

Hey @Malstupid just a lil tip, if you want other members to be notified that you've responded, you can tag them - use the @ symbol and a drop down will appear, and you can choose their name. If their name isn't there, you can type it out and it should then appear for you to select, and it will show up in blue, like this: @The-red-centaur 

I am sorry to hear that you're struggling with suicide too at the moment. I am glad you've found our forums to come and find some kindred spirits, folks who understand what you're going through. It is heavy to sit with constant SI, I have also been there too. Definitely want you to be able to chat about it more - and I thought it may be helpful for you to have a read through our Guide to creating safety when talking about suicide online too. 

Here for you, if there's anything you wanna chat about 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance