Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Losing Dad

Most of the last 13 years I spent grieving when I was alone, brushing away the tears, I have learnt how to turn the cold on full in the car and place the fans on my face so I don't look like I was crying for a long time.

I tried to ignore birthdays and anniversaries, I tried to be tough. I tried to compare myself and say how lucky I was to have had such a wonderful dad and that I had him at least until I got married.

I believed grief had a time limit, one year, everything else was just self pity and it shouldn't be hurting anymore and I should have moved on.

I have moved on but I still miss my dad. Not every day and I don't grief as often as I used to but it still hurts the same when the moment comes that I just cannot believe he has left. I didn't expect my dad to die at 53, I didn't expect to take the lead and help my mum with her grief, the funeral, moving homes, applying for pensions... I will never forget the day I went to the pension office and the lady behind the counter asked me if I needed to apply for orphan pension as well as my mums pension.

Well for anyone who still cries like a baby because of someone they've lost - I learnt this week it is ok, grief is ok, there is no time limit.

Happy Birthday Dad.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Losing Dad

What a beautiful tribute. @Former-Member

Heart

Lunar
Senior Contributor

That was so lovely and beautifully written @Former-Member, I'm thinking of you today and Happy Birthday to your Dad! He would no doubt be proud of you for being so strong and helping your mum out all this time Heart

Cry all you like and think about all the wonderful times you had together, it is okay to be sad, let it out HeartHeartHeart

Pebbles
Senior Contributor

That's really touching @Former-Member you have a beautiful way of describing your insight of your grief. Thank you for sharing.

Virtual hugs coming your way Heart

Hi @Former-Member

I have found a way to honour my mum and my dad on their birthdays. It also makes the grief easier on their days.

I buy them a gift which I give to myself and I also go out to dinner to celebrate their lives. I've found this to be enormously helpful and I will certainly continue to follow this tradition for the rest of my life.

Thinking of you and walking beside you.
Luv n Hugzzz 💕 🎶
BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Lovely @Former-Member
Hugs love and strength to you. I'm sure your dad would be very proud of you. ❤️❤️❤️ Xxxooo
BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Hi @Kurra
I really like that idea. It's a nice way of remembering them and hopefully it lessens the grief a little. Hugs ❤️❤️Xx
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you all for thinking of me and my Dad today.

@Kurra I too like that idea and I have also been given true idea to have a special box for memories of loved ones. I think I will do that too.

It's been 4 years since I lost my Dad and I still grieve. He was sick with strokes and Parkinson's and head injuries from falls that he had for half my life so even if your "prepared" for it you can't be ready for it. I learned it's ok to cry because like @Former-Member said there isn't any time limit on the grief.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance