Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

beyondlost478
Casual Contributor

Question Exisiting

Hello all, I am writing this as my first post to see if anyone has any coping mechanisms on how to train an overworking brain with health anxiety. I have dealt with this for the past two years, recently after the passing of two immediate family members over 4 years ago. I am the type of person who does not allow my emotions because I thought everyone was busy with their lives and that I would just burden them with my thoughts, so I would suppress my emotions and cap them. It has developed worse when I would constantly go back to the doctors or emergency department for reassurance and even when the doctors said I was all clear, I was at home thinking they missed something. I was hyper-aware of all these "symptoms" in my body and thought for the worst and I would constantly google my symptoms (as one would do). I have stopped going out because I thought the house was my "only safe space" and fear that if i go out, something bad would happen. I am seeing a counselor via video every month. I have tried the whole journalling, listening to peaceful music, telling myself it is anxiety, but I feel like i am failing and my mind is feel like i am isolated from the world.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Question Exisiting

Hey @beyondlost478 - I can relate to what you're going through cos I have also struggled wth health anxiety. It's really rough. Nothing like getting the 'all clear' from a test or something and having people say 'Oh that's great that they didn't find anything!' but inside I'm more frustrated than ever! 

It is great that you're seeing a counsellor and working on things, and by even putting effort in, it means you're not failing at all n my eyes! It takes time to untangle these thoughts. 

I hope you start to see some changes soon, and get to connect with others here who can help you feel less alone in your experiences 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance