Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Hyperballad
Senior Contributor

Anxiety and working out

One of the things that helps me with anxiety is feeling strong in my body. I never used to go to the gym until about 10 or so years ago. When I feel strength in my body it gives me a sense of solidness that can be good to counteract the way anxiety makes me feel like an insecure blob of shaking jelly. Usually when I go through a difficult patch with anxiety (eg last week) it’s tough to get to the gym and I can feel weak etc. So a goal this week is to hopefully offset that.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Anxiety and working out

I can relate to that @Hyperballad and thanks for reminding me!! I used to be fit and strong before my MH got severe back in 2007. I have struggled to go to the gym and swim which I used to love. We can become less motivated when our MH is overwhelming and at the forefront of our minds. I will make my exercise more of a focus and try and get that strong feeling back!

Thanks again!

RiverSeal

Yes, I find exercise of great benefit. Reminding myself I am healthy and capable but yes sometimes when overwhelmed it is hard to motivate myself.

It’s a good feeling and small steps count

I need to get back in to working out.. it always helped me feel better. 

@Hyperballad I find that the periods where I'm attending boxing or martial arts classes are when I feel the most sure of myself! But it's scary to go places like this alone. The gym is an intimidating place even to the seasoned but remember, nobody is looking at you!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance