Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Pelican
Contributor

Drivers licence for son with schizophrenia

Hello,

My son lives with and manages paranoid schizophrenia. He is 21 years old. 

He would like to learn to drive and I'm seeking information about whether this is possible for someone with his condition, and if anyone has experience of helping someone in a similar condition to get their licence.

Thanks very much.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Drivers licence for son with schizophrenia

Morning @Pelican and welcome to the forums 😊

Thank you for asking this question because I'm sure it's one that pops up time to time with our community members. Unfortunately I don't know the answer, and I'm guessing it may vary from state to state, but here is some information I found regarding medical conditions that affect your licence in NSW. Another good source of info would be your local motor registry. Your GP may be able to provide the right advice too.

In the meantime, I hope there are members of our community who may be able to shed some light on this for you @Pelican related to their own experiences, and I also want to add that your son is lucky to have an actively involved and caring parent like you!

I'm going to tag a few forumites who may be able to contribute to this discussion: @greenpea @Rosie @Patchworks @Judi9877 @Good_Morning @Anon1975 

Rhye ☘️

Hey there @Pelican 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out for information about your son. Is your son under a psychiatrist's care? My understanding is that he most certainly can drive but would need a letter from a psychiatrist to confirm that he is ok to drive. They would be able to advise of any concerns about how safe he is to drive and his learning. 

Hope some of that helps and others might be able to chime in with some suggestions. 

hugs,

hanami 💮

Thank you very much for your reply @hanami. Yes, my son is under the care of a psychiatrist. Thanks for your advice!

@Pelican  i have developed schitzo affective disorder/bipolar I. i drove for years until recently due to my shakey hands brought on by medications

I have met a few people with schizophrenia who have driven @Pelican .  Each person is an individual, working with psychiatrist, until it is clear how your son manages it is the safest bet.

This is really helpful. Thank you, @greenpea.

Thanks, @Appleblossom. It certainly sounds doable for my son and I'll pass all this info onto him.

I had to get a neurologist to sign off on me learning to drive. The RTA initially put a condition on my Ls that was 'can only drive with a licensed driving instructor' (ie. not Mum and Dad, but can only learn with a professional), so I had to get an occupational therapist to recommend that that condition be removed.

Would you mind me asking, @Gwynn, whether there was a specific reason you needed a neurologist to sign off?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance