Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Anabelle1960
New Contributor

Panic Attacks

Hi,  I have had an interesting life always been very independent so never ask for  help! Very sick as a child so lost use of my legs age 10 abandoned by parents institution till age 13 ! I was lucky to be operated on Age 13 learning  to walk run again!  They sent be back to my mum til she threw me  out age 15 so on streets homeless for a few years  ! Started working in Pubs at age 15 so managed to learn how to support  myself! Life was always difficult as I was very Skinny,  small for my age due to along childhood sickness!  I did well at work but was attacked walking home at 3am one morning which put me in a Coma intensive care for months!  This left me with Post Traumatic stress syndrome or massive panic attacks with no warning!  I found it I did not sleep I could avoid the nightmares,  could avoid the attacks by self medication!  This worked for 5 years but ended up with a stroke age 20  massive stroke age 25 ! Now I am age 65 I find I am again having Panic attacks,  migraine,  uncontrolled shaking of hand legs,  double vision! I do not wish to seek medical help as do not like drugs,  anti depressants!  My job requires a medical examination so again so not want to declare myself unfit!  Only 18 months to a pension so I guess just try to soldier on? I do have chronic emphysema  from working in Pubs in 70's,  I do have a fused Spine,  I have broken my Neck,   I do have Neurofibroma disease?  Maybe I should just give up stop trying?  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Panic Attacks

Hi @Anabelle1960 It seems to me that you being here and sharing your story is not giving up - it is a clear sign you are reaching out for help and support and that is what we are all here for. It is great you have found us and even better that you have felt comfortable enough to share part of your story. Welcome to the forum Smiley Very Happy

Re: Panic Attacks

@Anabelle1960  Welcome to the forums.

Gosh, you have gone through the mill in your life. You certainly are a battler, don’t give up now, you’ve fought hard to get this far.

I’m sure you have so much to offer. I don’t know if you live alone, or have help/support.

Look around the forums. You will find some courageous people here, just like you.

A forum tip. The @brings a dropdown, and is how we tag others.

Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance