Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

My biggest problem can't even be solved.

I have spent my entire life watching everyone else's love stories unfold.

I've got no-one except my family, and I'm not emotionally open with them.

It's urgent.. I don't want to wait decades upon decades to even go on my first date. I don't know if I can hang on much longer. 

Human connection is not supposed to be a luxury. It's a need. Which is why it makes me angry when people say things like "you shouldn't need anyone to be happy."

That was fine until I got Depression, 2.5 years ago. 

You can't force anyone to love you, though. So I don't know what to do. I have no right to be upset, because there's nothing I can do about it, but it absolutely shreds me apart inside. 

What a useless post, I'm so sorry.

Like I'm going to go to sleep and wake up tomorrow, but what's that going to change? I'll be just as alone as I am now. At least until "my time comes". It's not even going to be worth it.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: My biggest problem can't even be solved.

@Former-Member  Things are sounding really hard for you right now. We do need human connections, that’s for sure. It’s finding the right people, that’s often the struggle.

It’s not a useless post, it’s how you feel, and that’s important. It’s no use saying things we don’t mean.

I’m listening, hearing and sending some ❣️❣️❣️

Hi @Former-Member, I can certainly relate to the struggle to find 'my people' and not necessarily having that human connection it sounds like you're craving and longing for. It's a frustrating and painful road, though I've learnt that love and human connection can come in all forms, not just romantic or family, but friends, even here on the forums is connection in a way. Behind this screen, writing this post, is another human, just like you. 😊

I found my people when I was just being me and when I wasn't actually actively looking for anyone to connect with per se but getting on with my life. As frustrating as it is, that often takes time. But, the othe other thing I'll say is that you do have a right to be upset, and it's understandable. The things we have little to no control over can be the things that are the most upsetting, for that simple fact that we have little to no control over it and there's not a lot we can  actually do. It's ok. Be kind to yourself and we'll be here as you ride out this wave. 

TideisTurning 

Hey @Former-Member, I hear you - mental illness held me back from going on my first date for a long time, much longer than I wanted.

I also disagree with the idea that "you shouldn't need anyone to make you happy." What does this mean?- That you should be isolated from others, and happy like that? If anything, the increased isolation of covid/2020 made me very aware of how much I do need others. I think it's very normal and human to want to be connected to others - this is definitely not a useless post Heart

I agree with what @TideisTurning said about how you can still have meaningful and valuable connections with people in other ways, e.g. friendships. There's a helpful list of suggestions here on ideas to develop connections with others. Also, I'm not sure if you've yet tried dating websites/apps? That can be another helpful way of meeting people. Seeing a MH professional helped keep my MI in check when I was going through this process myself. Also- though I know it's hard if you want it so much - try not to put too much pressure on yourself! For me love has often popped up when I least expected it/wasn't even looking 🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance