Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

lil_munchkin
New Contributor

My New Diagnoses

It's my first time here and I'm a little scared. Last year was the first time in was diagnose with Depression and Anxiety. It was only yesterday that BPD got added to my list of diagnoses, and if I'm honest it scares me so much. I'm trying to know it's nothing I should fear or be scared of. But I also struggling to feel SANE ever since. I've been reading and researching all night and it is making more and more sense that that is who I am... so why do I feel like I belong in an asylum? I know it's common and it's made things alot clearer in my mind... but there is so much fear and anxiety around it at the moment. Like what is my family and friends going to think? Will I still be able to do my job? I'm getting stuck in a head loop since leaving my appointment yesterday and just finding it really hard to digest it all at the moment.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: My New Diagnoses

Hi @lil_munchkin and welcome to the forum.

I can understand the fear that can come with receiving a diagnosis. Like you, I find it has brought up lots of questions for me. Things like is this really me, what does this say about me, am I going to be OK... etc. I've heard lots of people experience similar feelings and thoughts, particularly in the early days when it's all new and unfamiliar.

Did the person who diagnosed you (psychologist/psychiatrist maybe) speak with you about what this might mean as far as working with the diagnosis in a way that is supportive and helpful for you?

It can take time to process things like this. I find it helpful to speak about it with others who get it and it's great to see you here reaching out. I hope its helpful for you to be here.

Hi @lil_munchkin , thanks for your post and message.  I definitely struggled with some of the issues you are going through.  I have been diagnosed with bipolar 2 and am still coming to terms with it a year or more later.  

There was a BPD discussion a few weeks ago that may help.

Topic Tuesday // BPD Awareness featuring SPECTRUM VIC // Tues 1 Oct, 7pm AEST 

Try not to let it scare you to much, you are still the same person as before.  Its brave of you to talk about how you are feeling and to reach out for support.  My advice would be to stay busy, think positive, exercise, eat and sleep well.  The basics.

I find my friends and family really don't understand about my condition.  I think its diffucult to comprehend unless you have faced something similar yourself.  Even professional that work in the field don't see to have a great handle on it.  Thats just my opinion, based on my experience.  

A quick tip with the forum, if you press @ it should give you a list of people you can 'tag' like I did with your name.. this will let people know that you have replied.  I hope you can make some connections and friends here.  🙂

Take care

@lil_munchkin  there was a period i was recieveing a new diagnosis every week just about and at first it was scary and i didnt know what to think of it or how it would change my life or what others would think. but after a while i realised that it really doesnt change you and diagnoses are just collections of symptoms to make it easier to bill insurance companies so that your health care is covered. sometimes they can help make the treatment options more clear but a lot of the treatments are the same theres only really 3 different med groups only a few main therapies its all really the same thing when it boils down and all that really matters after a while is if what you are doing is helpful for you. the only other thing diagnoses do that i am aware of is they can be very validating to know that it isnt your fault.  but if you felt sane before then you can feel sane again. sorry if my answer is terrible if it is feel free to ignore it. 

@CheerBear  yeah my therapist spoke it through a little with me yesterday but also told me to do my own reading and research and when I go back to see her in a couple of weeks well tall about it more. I just felt it as a little confronting when I had other stuff going on. 

But it has started to make things feel a little clearer I'm just worried about sharing this information with friends and families because I don't know how they are going to take it.

I'm just hoping to get into some sort of therapy program to help me so I can start making step forward.

Hi again @lil_munchkin.

Glad to hear your therapist spoke it through with you a bit and that things are feeling a bit clearer for you.

There's so much information online and a lot that can be helpful but some that can be quite full on and confronting, I find anyway.

Are your family and friends supportive of you? I understand the worry about sharing something like this with family and friends. It was quite a shock to people in my life when my mental health stuff came out and a bit of a tricky time for us all. Some support to talk with my family could have made a difference. Could it help you to have your psych speak with someone from your family with you about it?

Wondering whether it might be helpful to hear from others here about their experiences disclosing to family and friends.

Hi @lil_munchkin 

You are feeling stirred up after they stuck another label on you - that is so rough

I know about depression - I have had it in the past - and anxiety - which still bothers me from time to time - but I only know about BPD fairly recently mostly from what I have read here

Mostly I would say you will be okay - you are the same person you were before your new diagnosis and I am wondering if you believe it is the case - it would be a scary thing to be told you have but as I said - you are the same person

I think you can probably go on working - you may have to tell some members of your family - that might be necessary - it might explain some things to them - about your friends - unless you are really close to them I don't think you have to tell them - it's very much up to you. There is so much stigma attached to mental illness or as I prefer to call depression and anxiety - emotional discomfort

There are so many labels that can be attached to us - it can feel like a maze with all the uncertainty and nothing like that can be easy

I have a couple of pics about labels and really - that's all they are - they do not define us as people - 

Dec

I think complicated is my label - or one of themI think complicated is my label - or one of them

Hi @lil_munchkin 

Sorry if this has been said already as I haven't read the replies to this post.

But yes I too get into BPD research obsession bursts. I find that the experiences of others articulating what BPD is like for them... it's like "omg yes!!!! that is IT!!". It makes me feel that how I behave in relationships is legitimatly a "thing". And it feels empowering to know that what I do is not just me being a horrible person. But being aware of these things gives me less of an excuse to not learn how to try to manage behaviours. I could tell you some youtube channels of women I absolutely idolise talking about their BPD if you were interested.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hang in there ! I've lived with this for decades. We don't cope with stress well, which is what throws us. So it's ok to pave a simple lifestyle for ourself and those who matter to us. Being in touch with my inner self is still a struggle, but journalling my day with smilie faces (or descriptive words  how I feel) helps. Also helps re memory gaps. We have to learn how to meet our own needs too. I have private faith God loves me, no matter the circumstances, which helps deflect paranoia and  strengthens my core values and Goals. We need an ankor I think, especially when thrown by rejection and major loss. ButB we are enough, we need acceptance as much as  anyone else, we DON'T like hurting people, and we DO want peace and trusted intimacy. I think. Are, the magic word - TRUST. I don't think I can ever fully trust someone, nobody is taking all of me again..  I know, I'm supposed to deal with that... Haha, a work in progress.  Sorry, this topic gets me going... A couple if experts have told me that BPD is an ''unkind'  diagnosis and instead they'd say I have CPTSD '(trauma' - with a capital 'T' - caused by an 'unfavourable' childhood... Whatever, I'm still learning and will survive. I am still relative, it's all relative 🌝 Thanks for this discussion, making me think 🤹

secret-place074541_1.jpeg

, @

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance