Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Snoopy56
Contributor

Mental Health and Older Australians

I would have been 24 years old when BPD was recognised in Australia.  I wasn't diagnosed until I was 56 years old and I am only know learning to understand what and why life has proven to be so hard.  There is very little help offered by the State Government Health system when dealing with Mental Health and to some degree BPD.  This is particularly concerning when you are over 50.

It is if the Mental Health system does want to waste time on older people. A perceived idea is that if a person has managed to out of the system for that long then one must have developed coping strategies by now?  The Mental Health Treatment Plan is hugely flawed and inadequate.  BPD requires weekly sessions with a Psychologist as it takes several sessions before you begin to trust that person   

I recently had a really bad time coping, not because of COVID-19 which did impact on all of us, but continual stress and anxiety to a point I was at risk. I called the 1300 number for help.  When I was assessed (just 45 minutes) I left with nothing. No medication and no accessible support unless you have NDIS funding then there is help.   I was forced to find a private Psychiatrist which is,going to cost me several hundred dollars as a,lot of Psychiatrists won't accept bulk billing and some insist you have health insurance.  After a dozen calls,my GP found one. It will take me an hour to see the Psychiatrist as I don't drive and have no one I am all alone. The government needs to fix this problem 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Mental Health and Older Australians

Hey there @Snoopy56 Thank you so much for posting and sharing your story. "A perceived idea is that if a person has managed to out of the system for that long then one must have developed coping strategies by now?" - This is a painfully common reflection from other members of the forum. I am sorry about the lack of systemic support in your recovery. A very painful thing to navigate, and many others have mentioned having to go 100% out of pocket to find a decent practitioner who is highly skilled in treating BPD.

We hope too that nation wide there's more of a focus on mental health recovery and support, across the lifespan for all Australians. If you do want to chat about this beyond our forums, are counsellors at the Help Centre are a wonderful bunch. You can book a call here. In the meantime our forum community is here to listen and sit with you Heart

@Snoopy56  Welcome to the forums.

I do agree that the health system in general, seem to think older people are a drain on the system. It’s something I’ve come across both with mental, and physical health.

I’m wondering if Coronavirus is going to throw the door open on mental health, now that’s it seems to be affecting so many in the community. Time will tell I guess. 

I hope you find this psychiatrist helpful. Take care.

Hi there, I am in agreeance with you on that, there are too many holes in the current Mental Health system, too many places where people can slip between the cracks and feel lost.  Turn to the Intenet and youll find an overwhelling source of stuff, but its mind boggling, and also annoying is the number of companies wanting to enlist people into their programs (at a Cost of course)  I can understand the frustration.  Only new on this site myself I have yet discover what resouse are availabe here.  I am 60 and currenty obtaining qualifications in Mental health with an intent to support those who grew up though our era,   Do you have anyone you talk to about what you're experiencing? 

Welcome to the forums @WithYou. Join in anywhere you feel comfortable.

A tip. The @ brings a dropdown, that’s our tagging system. 

I too have been diagnosed with BPD at the age of 30 and am now 42. I relate to the struggles you mention, and as I age I feel the support available declining. I’ve struggled with drug addiction (marajuanna) for many years, and luckily it was through rehab that I discovered Dialectical Behaviour Therapy. I did not realise that BPD behaviours are very similar to that of an addict in addiction, and so DBT therapy can assists ppl who have either or both. Over the past 4 years I have been practicing DBT, which not only helped battling my addiction, but also taught me practical tools that have allowed my personality to grow and BPD symptoms subsiding with weekly therapy. 

@Dang  Welcome to the forums.

Its good to see you joining in. You might like to check out the Good Morning  thread. It’s a good way to get to know others around the forums.

A tip. The @Brings a dropdown. You can tag others and we get a notification to respond. Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance