Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Mel_kids3
Contributor

Mask wearing

Hi all,  I'm new to the forums but and really struggling atm.  I have a number of mental health issues but the ones that are the hardest to manage for me at the moment are GAD, depression and complex PTSD.  
Today in my state further changes where made to the face covering we are required to wear when leaving our homes.  Is anyone else suffering with these changes?  Have any suggestions on advocacy for those with mental health disorders?

I am in bed riddled with extreme anxiety,  and the mask wearing is a major tigger for me due to my PTSD related issues.... past of trauma around suffocation and abuse.  My issue is that while I have a exemption letter from my GP saying I could only wear a face shield, I didn't feel to self conscious while this was acceptable to the govt.  now with these changes I feel I can't leave the house without scrutiny, people judging, asking questions etc... this may or may not happen I realise this but it is all part of my anxiety..... I feel these changes are unwarranted and further stigmatising and I have no voice or escape from the anxiety... a prisoner in my own mind.  

I have mastered to the best of my abilities over the year putting on my everything is ok act.... but Covid is pushing my past my breaking point.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Mask wearing

hello and welcome to the forum @Mel_kids3 

@eth@Maggie@BlueBay@utopia 

My husband has GAD, SAD, Inherited depression, Bipolar 11 

@Mel_kids3  Welcome.

I’m really sorry there are further changes regarding Coronavirus and face masks in your city. I don’t know of any advocacy, I’m sorry.

I really understand the anxiety this is causing, and the stigma and questions from some , who just don’t know, nor understand your circumstances.

There are others around the forums who are feeling trapped, hopefully, talking to others, might help.

Take care.

Hi Mel_kids3,

I also suffer with depression, GAD and am also blind, so I do understand what you must be feeling. I have at to learn that any many instances what other people thought or impressiins may be, what realy is important is that just for this moment I am OK and nothing is going to hert me. Breaking this thought down to even the second can give some inner strength.

Hope this may help.

Karli

@Karli  Welcome to the forums the forums.

I’m sorry you are struggling with depression. It must be extremely hard being blind. People rushing around, with many not even noticing. I hope you find support around the forums.

Good Morning  thread is a friendly place to start.

Hi Shaz

Severe depression can also come with Bipolar 11, apparently the depression side of the illness can sometimes be worse than Bipolar 1.  I have Bipolar 1 and my mania is severe but the longer and more severe the mania the worse the depression is.  It is a pity there isn't more research.  When I go to my doctor (or doctors, public health they keep on changing) I get the same old questions.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

@Mel_kids3  I don't know how long we have to keep wearing masks for....

it's bad for the birds I read that the bird's legs get tangled up in the string of the masks.....

It's good that you have been brave enough to tell us why you need to wear a face shield by itself....it is important to remember not to judge other people's mask wearing....I have definitely learnt something important from your post .........

not that I would ever tell anyone off about their mask wearingbut it's important to be aware that there are special exemptions

it's hard not knowing who will judge..... not everyone is kind, especially at the moment more people seem angry, frustrated and looking for someone to take it out on.  Difficult times for all.

@Mel_kids3I know someone who is wearing a face shield but he has an exemption ..he works in essential services...

He told me about exemption he said he doesn't need to wear the face shield but

he wears it

I have an exemption from all face coverings but my GP, psych and I discussed that a face shield would be manageable and reduce my anxiety around feeling judged which it definitely did.... just with the new changes it has heightened again.  People I work with are good thankfully, just strangers that I fear.  I know I will work through it Slso just frustrated and sad that I even need to think about this with numbers lowering and no real reason for the change that I can see.  Thanks for sharing @jamesle2015 about the other person you know 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance