Skip to main content
site-logo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Orwellian
Senior Contributor

Alcohol and Mental Health

I have only had a few drinks this year. In fact since February 2018 I have probably had less than a normal person would consume in a fortnight.

I like having a drink but can only do so when I am happy. My lack of drinking has really highlighted how poor my mental health has been for a long time now. It is getting to the point where this has become the new normal. I do not want to continue in this way much longer. It may be time to take an closer look at the garden soon.

I do wonder what if having access to mental health services would make a difference but as that is denied me I guess I will never know.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Alcohol and Mental Health

I know you only state you drink when happy, but did you know alcohol itself is a depressant? I drink occasionally myself but know it’s a sign of self sabotage, as I have to not take my meds when drinking and missing them can have dire consequences.

I know you say mental health services have been denied to you, but could you request to see a psychologist under a mental health plan? It offers ten Medicare funded sessions with a psychologist per year. Just a thought.

Thanks @Queenie .

Yes I did know that alcohol is a depressant and I have seen others on that spiral. I am not sure why but I do enjoy good quality drinks when I am in a good mood. Nice wines and good spirits (not mixed) can be pleasurable. When I am down even the thought of alcohol will make me feel ill. If that were not the case there is a good chance I would now be dependant on it. It is only lately I have wondered if that is also why my use of antidepressants has been unsuccessful. When I have been prescribed them over the years each time they have had an effect but one which is negative. It is why I will not try them again. I know that those medications would probably push me over an edge, so best avoided.

I have had a Mental Health Plan and saw a local shrink. One who had a very good reputation. My sessions there had some good aspects but seeing someone only limited occasions was not that helpful. Friends have said I really should be admitted for a period but that has always been a problem and now is completely out of the question. The high incidence of tobacco use in the local Mental Health facility and my hypersensitivity means I could not go there. I have also been a patient in that hospital for medical reasons and in a nine day stay I only had a piece of fruit a day. The quality of the food was so poor I would not eat it and the smell would make me nauseous. The nursing staff did send a dietitian and I spoke to them and eventually they agreed that the quality was dire.

It is also the place I used to work and where I acquired my PTSD. Even driving past now makes me feel excessively nervous, so there is no way I could be admitted. That is why I have to be very careful with what I say to any therapist as I made the mistake of being honest once and was taken there as an involuntary admission. I soon worked out what lies I had to tell them to leave and that is a lesson learned. So I now do not have any public health or mental health services available to me.

That's really interesting that you've had only a couple of drinks this year @Orwellian, do you feel better overall without the alcohol?

No I don't feel better. The distaste for alcohol is due to my feeling so bad. I have never been a big drinker anyway.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance