Skip to main content
site-logo
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

cha0tic_cosmin
Casual Contributor

(possible triggering topics) To expand upon why I am majorly skeptical of a lot of things

Just moved to Australia and am currently in quarantine, as I was forced to leave the original country I was in due to how if I didn't leave I would be forced into the foster system as a "minor" and that would be horrible again. I generally don't speak to professionals because from experience all they do is harm me, at one time I was forced to be insitutionalized or I'd be sent to juvie (honestly being punished with manual labor and cleaning for self harming and not complying with staff, among other things, was probably not better than juvie in some cases, though).

Because I'm supposedly "psychotic" and "delusional" apparently this means it's okay to deny me basic rights, from experience. This is one of the reasons why I've learned the skill of going through conversations nonchalantly and manipulating words so they cannot harm me, like I've learned the general questions healthcare professionals ask me (for example, the first thing that's usually asked is questions about if I'm hallucinating and if I'm experiencing psychosis because I refer to myself sometimes with we/us pronouns and we're plural) and how to provide non-answers so I don't get overmedicated again (but this isn't just with professionals, it's often the same with people in my life in general, from experience). And for the first 18 years of my life I have had no say in whatever healthcare professionals decide what's "right for me," because the legal system I was in basically gave all power to professionals and authority (patient advocates did not exist, and as a resident if you weren't a student and were unemployed you have even less rights than the average citizen - society doesn't usually care about you then, and the only "support" that is there for you directly involves behavioralism) 

I know where I now am is in a different legal system and is different, but I don't expect it will be different, when that's all I know. And though the control makes sense to me, that doesn't excuse it. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: (possible triggering topics) To expand upon why I am majorly skeptical of a lot of things

Hi @cha0tic_cosmin 

Just wanted to welcome you in here and say I'm really sorry it's been rough going. You've been navigating some big changes ultimately to support yourself and the agency and rights you'd like to have. Quarrantine can be tough and I hope you're hanging in there.

I hope you'll find the forums a space that feels validating and a space that feels that there's some freedom in discussion about what's important to you in staying well and true to yourself.

Best!

Ochre.

Re: (possible triggering topics) To expand upon why I am majorly skeptical of a lot of things

@Ochre quarantine isn't that bad actually, previously I've been stuck in a 4 walled white room with nothing in it for about two months and in general I don't go out much, so being in a furnished hotel room for 2 weeks with the ability to order delivery is actually nice tbh

@cha0tic_cosmin  Welcome to the forums.

I’m sorry you’ve had such bad experiences and treatment.

I really hope you find someone who treats you respectfully, we all need that.

Take a look around the forums and join in if you feel comfortable.

Good morning  is a friendly place to start.

I hope to see you around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance